Tuesday, January 20, 2009

They speak English in England?!?! Who Knew?...

Can you say DUH!

So, I served my mission in England and was reading one of my favorite companions blog and saw this. I thought you would get a kick out of it. Enjoy!

Walmart Wackiness

I went to Walmart today to pick up some things and as I was waiting for my goods to be rung up I had the following conversation with the Cashier, a twenty-something woman:

Cashier: Where are you from you have an accent?
Me: England
Cashier: I should've guessed
Me: Well, sometimes people think I'm from Australia
Cashier: How long have you lived here?
Me: About 3 years
...... about 30 seconds passes by.......
Cashier: You speak English very well, did you learn it over here?
...... she says this with a straight face, no hint of sarcasm whatsoever......
Me: Pardon????????????
Cashier: Did you have to learn English when you came here?
Me: Umm, no, I've been speaking it since I was born, England is where English originated and the language we speak there.
Cashier: Oh, I never knew that, we didn't learn anything about England in school.

6 comments:

Our Loved-up Family said...

This still ahs me laughing, even now!

Anna M. said...

Hilarious!!! What a great story! =)

Lance, Jodell, Jena and Emilyn said...

That is SO Funny!! Thanks for sharing. Sometimes I wonder about a few of those Walmart cashiers :)

Mindi B said...

THAT is absolutely hilarious!!! I wish I could have been there to laugh out loud! (I probably would have been quietly polite though - he he.)

Devon said...

That is terrific! I love it!

Megan and Jon said...

Kim Pitcher, we were at dinner the other night with the McKnight girls and talking Cornish and I said How is KIM PITCHER, she said you have a blog and it was linked on hers. So I came to visit.
Do you really live in England